Sunday, March 22, 2015

NYX Wonder Stick Review & Demo: How I Contour

NYX Wonder Stick Review & Demo
As most of you have probably noticed, contouring and highlighting is one of the biggest makeup trends happening right now (besides the "Kylie Jenner" lip, of course).Lately, NYX Cosmetics has been putting out a bunch of new amazing contouring products. I've been dying to get my hands on their Highlight & Contouring Pro Palette, but it's been sold out of my Ulta for weeks now. So until I can finally purchase that, it's my goal to try out all their other contouring products!

Personally, I've always been super into the bronzed look so I'm all for the contouring bandwagon! Not to mention that I have chronic baby-face syndrome so I look like I'm 15 unless I have some contouring going on.

The new NYX Wonder Stick is a one-stop-shop contouring stick. One side has a dark contouring shade and the other has a highlighting shade. The consistency really reminds me of the Loreal concealer sticks (which are also amazing for contouring!) and is really easy to blend into the skin without looking cakey.

NYX Wonder Stick Review & Demo

This contour stick comes in 4 shades: light, medium, deep, and universal. I picked up the universal shade because I liked how the highlight shade was more yellow-toned unlike the more pink one from the light shade. These sell at Ulta for $11.99 but I picked up mine for about $9 after using their $3.50 off $10 coupon!

NYX Wonder Stick Review & Demo

I picked the universal shade because of the more warm-toned colors. My skin is pretty neutral but my face naturally has some redness, so super pink highlight shades are a no go for me.

NYX Wonder Stick Review & Demo

The contouring shade is definitely red-based and I was a little worried that it would look ridiculous on me because I'm pretty pale. But, I was pleasantly surprised because it doesn't look too red on the skin and blends out to a really nice color. The highlighting shade is yellow-based with a slight shimmer. The shimmer isn't too crazy and looks iridescent on the skin.

NYX Wonder Stick Review & Demo

I used the contour stick just like I would've with any type of contouring/highlighting powder. I applied the contouring shade in the hallows of my cheeks, my jaw line, the sides of my nose, and on my temples.
I put the highlighting shade anywhere where the light would hit my face: on my cupids bow, chin, middle of thr forehead, bride of the nose, under the eyes, and on the tops of the cheekbones (or the cheekbones you're trying to create).

The contouring stick goes on super smooth and blends out easily. I used a damp beauty blender to blend it out and it worked perfectly. I wouldn't recommend using a brush to blend this out, however, because I think it might look a little too harsh and cakey that way.

NYX Wonder Stick Review & Demo

My final thoughts and Review: 
I think this is a really great product! If you're looking for a cheaper highlighting and contour product than this is a perfect one. The effect it gave was a super pretty, natural looking contour. If you're in the market for a dramatic contouring/highlight then I probably would recommend getting a different product or just applying this with a heavier hand. 
 
Pros:
  • Easy to apply and blend
  • Natural look
  • Inexpensive
Cons:
  • Not very dramatic
  • Might be too creamy on oily skin
Rate: 4.5/5
Have you tried the NYX wonder stick or do you want to? What is your favorite contouring/highlighting product at the moment?

4 comments:

  1. Amazing Post!! I always wanted to try some contouring but I didn't know which products are best for me.. I really like this NYX wonder stick, it looks easy to apply..but I don't know which colour would suit me.. Could you please check my blog so you can see my face and skin colour and let me know which colour I should buy? medium, deep or universal ? Thanks :)
    www.xorosiejanxo.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and taking the time to comment!
      I think either medium or universal would look amazing on you. I'd suggest medium if you have more oily skin (the highlight is matte compared to the shimmery one on the universal stick) and the universal shade if you're more combo/dry skin. xx

      Delete
  2. I just bought this on a trip to Target.... impulse buy! I was thinking of applying this on top of foundation, but then setting it with powder. What are your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi doll! Personally, I apply this after my foundation as well. Lately I've been using the NYX contour & highlight palette to set it and I LOVE it! I can totally do a post about that if you would like :) xx

      Delete